This cotton-spinning mill is located on the north side of Park Rd by the river Tame. It was built for Christian Valentine Koch* (1834–1895, Salford), from Switzerland, who was a prominent 19th-century industrialist and an important figure in the cotton-spinning industry of Dukinfield.
The mill was designed by Edward Potts of Potts, Pickup & Dixon of Manchester, and it opened in 1886 with 44,000 spindles. Facing Park Rd, the mill is 4-storeys high, with a basement, by 17 bays long and it is of fireproof construction. It is similar in design to the associated River Mill, which is also situated on Park Rd about 400 yards distant to the west, but it is more ornate. Subsequently, the mill was worked by the River & Tower Mills Co Ltd (1912) who ceased spinning at River Mill in 1934 but continued to work Tower Mill with spinning mules and ring spinning frames until 1955 when the company went into liquidation.
When it was no longer used as a cotton mill it was used by various industries and divided into small units. At one point there were plans for the mill to be converted into apartments but with the recession in 2007/08 these plans were abandoned. The mill then lay empty until it was bought in 2013 by English Fine Cottons Ltd, refurbished and re-equipped to begin ring spinning cotton yarns again in 2016. It was then, after an absence of 61 years, the only cotton-spinning mill in production in the UK. The parent company of English Fine Cottons Ltd is Culimeta-Saveguard Ltd, which went into administration in March 2024 and liquidators were appointed in Sep 2024. Consequently, Tower Mill was put up for sale.
Tower Mill is Grade II listed, List Entry No. 1268070.